Activated Charcoal Beauty Tricks!
Activated charcoal has been making a comeback as the latest health & beauty trend on the market. You’ll be amazed at how versatile and effective it is for detoxing the body and removing impurities from the skin!
Although its first recorded use dates back to 1550 B.C it is only recently being recognized for its vast array of benefits! Medical literature has established it as a powerful antidote to a toxin overload, commonly used in emergency trauma centres.
It works as a sponge to trap toxins into its millions of little pours and then excretes them from the body. It is certainly a powerful detoxifier!
Not to be confused with BBQ charcoal or charred wood from the fire, activated charcoal is derived from coconut shells. It is referred to as ‘activated’ because the heating process creates/activates the porous surface which is what makes the charcoal so therapeutic and non-toxic.
I personally incorporate activated charcoal into by daily beauty routine and here’s how you can too!
Deep Cleansing Face Mask
(Use 1-2 times weekly)
•1 Teaspoon of activated charcoal powder
•3-5 drops of water
- In a small container mix the powder and water to create a thick paste
- Apply evenly to entire face or just your T-zone (oily part of the face)
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes until it dries
- Wash off in the shower or over the sink
*NOTE: It can get messy when washing the mask off! I usually apply the mask before my shower and wash it off in the shower instead of the sink. This way I can make sure no powder is left behind along my hair line.
Natural Teeth Whitener
(Use once daily)
•1/4 Teaspoon of activated charcoal powder
- Sprinkle powder onto wet toothbrush
- Brush teeth for 1 minute then rinse mouth with water
- Brush teeth using only toothpaste to remove any residue
*NOTE: The activated charcoal powder may leave non-permanent stains in the sink so make sure to wipe the sink after use. Avoid wearing white or light coloured clothes when brushing with the charcoal in case it splashes and may stain fabric.
(Drink once weekly)
•1 teaspoon of activated charcoal powder
•Mason jar filled with water
•Optional: 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds
- Add 1 teaspoon of charcoal powder to a mason jar of water.
- Put the lid on and shake until blended. Drink first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.
- Optional: Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds for added skin benefits! (Rich in omega 3)
*NOTE: Take at least two hours away from supplements or medication. Also, this acts as a great hangover cure!
Do you know someone who would love to try these activated charcoal beauty tricks?! Share this blog post with them!